Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Finger Says it All!


I'm back in IL following a 6-month, 10k mile romp through the backroads of this fine country. I really did backroads this time, including all my miles in scenic TX, NV,CA, LA, AL, FL, MS, OK, AZ, NE, IA, IL, and most of GA, UT, NY...whew! I think that's the final answer. One thing I can say for sure, backroads are much more interesting, and friendly, than those overcrowded interstates.

Take, for example, the use of 1 finger. In most of uncivilized civilization, one finger means, well, you know. Not nice. A sign of anger, frustration and the like. Well, out in the country, 1 finger holds a whole other meaning..."howdy!" being the most literal translation.

I practiced--on empty roads--the 1-finger wave--and took a pix to let people know what a good 1-finger-wave looks like. I received lots of them, making me sad that my journey is coming to an end, at least for now as much as I know.

If you've read this far, perhaps I could tempt you to look at some pix I took to show city slickers and untraveled folks what life is like off the Interstate.
  • Animals you might find out there
  • Scenes you might see
It's actually kind of delightful, but don't tell anyone because I'd hate for those roads to become congested. If it happened, and was traced back to me, I'd probably get a different kind of 1-finger salute from the nice folks out in the country...!

No comments: